Cal Wayne releases new album "GHETTO"

Among the most memorable times for Houston's Hip Hop Culture flourished roughly during the years of 2005-2010, when Houston's hottest artists rose in the music industry, and likewise the Billboard Charts. Artists such as Slim Thug, Mike Jones, Chamillionaire (formerly Chamillion), Paul Wall, Lil Flip, Kirko Bangz and many others went from Independent Idols to Major label music and media stars in a short amount of time. Other heavy hitters in Houston included Lil KeKe, Big Moe, Z-Ro, Fat Pat, Big Hawk, Big Pokey, ESG, and far too many others to name. This period of time was referred to as the Texas Take Over, when Houston's finest artists introduced their culture to the rest of the world, leaving a heavy influence on the game even still til' this day. In today's Hip Hop Blog, I want to discuss the new wave of artists in Houston's underground circuit who aspire to carry the torch to soon light the music industry on fire again in the years to come. Up and coming, but not necessarily new to the game artists such as DJ Chose, DJ XO, BeatKing, Sauce Walka', OTB Fastlane, Cal Wayne, Yung Martez, Tobe Nwigwe, Trill Sammy, Dice SoHo, Maxo Kream, are just to name a few who names ring bells. 

In today's blog, we'll shed light on Houston rap artist Cal Wayne, and his most recent project entitled “Ghetto”. But first, I'd like to share some background on how this particular artist initially grabbed my ears. Yung Martez featured Cal Wayne & DawgFresh on a song entitled “Hungry”, the bars spat by all of these artists on this song solidified the title of the song in itself in relation to their drive to be heard and felt in the streets. The most profound lyrical line in this song came in the opening verse of Cal Wayne's featured appearance when he spit the words “They tellin' me I'm the hottest in the city, besides J-Dawg and Ro, only difference is they been on the radio, I don't know what they hate me fo', ain't nobody neva help me, I just put my pain on the track, and niggas felt me”...and that's exactly he did on his recently released album “Ghetto”, seemingly poured out his life through the pen onto paper, then finished it in the booth. Let's move on to one of my personal favorites from the album on this review.

Song Title: Ghetto I (he doubles back with a part II before the close of the album)

“This my real life, I don't be trying to sound gangsta' on the mic, been to prison 4 times behind these lyrics that I write, he just rap good baby...don't believe the hype”. The breakdown of this opening statement before he delivers bars to introduce himself to the audience, basically explains his authenticity in the streets that needs no brag or boast, the irony in when he says, he just rap good baby don't believe the hype in my interpretation is pulling back the curtains on the many rappers who on the mic talks it, but has never walked it (this is far too common of a problem as we know it). 

Cal Wayne on this song showcases the skill and art of story telling, painting a vivid picture of running from the law,  my initial impression of this song was that it was the perfect play for an intro, just from the short 2mins-30secs of this song, any listener can get a preview of his life, what he has been through, where he's from and why he has a story to tell on the remainder of the album. Scrolling through commentary from fans and listeners on YouTube, and seeing accolades given in the comment section, such as “Classic, this tape is is Law!”, “Ghetto Gospel”, and “One of the hardest song on here” further perpetuates the respect for both his street accreditation and lyrical ability in music. “But I didn't cry cause' it made me a man tho', and I done spent so many nights in the bando, I'm thinkin' about my brother, got me lightin' a candle, he told me shoot my shot til' I run out of ammo”...those lyrics give off Tupac the realest shit I ever wrote vibes. Mr. CW, we salute you and feel you on this one, some might be listening, but still haven't heard you. In any case, whether you aspire to just talk to the streets or in the scheme of things, the whole world...keep doing what has earned you the name and respect as the artist you've become today. Trust me, the song Ghetto is just the beginning to an amazing album, but don't take my word for it, have a listen for yourself. Notable awards and nominations such as the best male rapper (from the Broadcast Houston Scarface award), and the Street Choice Award during the 4th Annual Go DJ awards has been well earned for Cal Weezy; shot out to Arsea Entertainment. 

written by: D. Cannon, Houstonian, Hip-Hop enthusiast 

artist: Cal Wayne (@Cal_Wayne)
song: Ghetto part I, part II

purchase @ www.CALWAYNE.com


http://youtube.com/thetexasplug

http://thetexasplugmonthly.blogspot.com

Comments

Post a Comment